Wrong links after URL change

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Hello together,

 

I have a big strange Problem. Yesterday I finally migrated our Sharepoint 2007 to Sharepoint 2010. First I describe the steps I made during the Migration

1. Backup 2007 Databases

2.Restore 2007 Databases to Cleanup Environment

3.Cleaned the Database from ophraned sites and bad WebParts

4.Backup 2007 Databases from Cleanup Environment

5.Restore 2007 Databases to 2010 Production Environment

6. Attach and migrate the Database to the Production Environment with                                 -Updateuserexperience

At step 6. I used an URL like  https://moss-prod.company.web. After that, I had to change the URL to https://moss.company.web. (The reason is, that I had to assure that the Sharepoint 2007 Farm is accessable read only during the whole migration process until Step 6.)

My problem at this point is, that if I use a link under my hyperlinks, the temporary URLs are still used (https://moss-prod.company.web) instead of the wanted URL https://moss.company.web .

 

Can anyone tell me how to deal with this Problem? Where are the links stored and why they aren`t altered to the new URL. How can I force the solution to use the new URL (https://moss.company.web)

I retracted and deleteed the solution completely and then added and redeployed once more, nothing changed. For this reason I assume the URLs are still stored somewhere and weren`t changed after attaching the content Database under the new URL.

Its very important for us to get this fixed. Many of our users don´t find their Projekt sites ;)

 

I hope anyone can point me to the right direction!

 

Cheers AndreOL

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

The URLs are stored in the user profile database. If I had to guess I would say that they were probably changed during the upgrade process, but they wouldn't be when just the URL of the site was changed. The easiest way to fix them would be to run a query similar to the one below on your user profile DB.

UPDATE [UserLinks] SET Url = REPLACE(Url, 'https://moss-prod.company.web', 'https://moss.company.web') WHERE Url LIKE 'https://moss-prod.company.web%'

Randy

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Hi Randy,

 

you pointed me to the right direction. I found a table where some of the wrong URLs are. It´s called "dbo.MemberGroup" within the UserProfile Database. Now the question for me is, is this the Database table which is used for your solution to point the users to the URLs under myHyperlinks...

May be there a possibility to alter the URLs by sync or profile Import again....

 

Why are the links not changed after I build a new application with a new name? I think its a common scenario that a URL can change within an organization, so why thr URLs in this Database doesn`t change.

 

This whole thing is very interesting but also a bit frustrating :D

 

Greetings

Andre

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

The MemberGroup table is populated by the Memberships functionality in the User Profile Service. If you were to look at the Memberships tab on the user's My Site the URLs would be incorrect there as well. There have been several bugs within SharePoint that have caused problems with Membership synchronization. I suggest you take a look at this blog post for more information and potentially a fix. Good luck!

If you're not able to resolve the problem (and even if you are), I recommend trying out the version of this solution that leverages SharePoint search (MyLinksMenu.wsp - Search Only) to generate the user's site list. It's more reliable and much easier to control once you get it set up. 

Randy

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Hey together,

 

today we (Microsoft supporter and me) fixed this issue. It had exactly to to with that what you suggested randy. The Full syncronization job didn´t work like expected. If I deleted the content by using stsadm -o snyc -deleteolddatabase -0 and start a Full sync everything was fine again!

 

Thanks for your quick response to this topic!

 

Happy SharePointing ;)

Greetings Andre