Links are shown but following them sometimes give access denied

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Hi Randy,

I'm trying to resolve an issue where users will be shown a link that is created via the search feature, but when users click on that link they are given access denied.  My first thought is that a user may have limited access to an item in the site and the link is taking them to the home page of the site where they have no access.  Do you think this could be the case?

Thanks,

John

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Hi John,

The only way I can cause what you describe to happen is if the user has permission to the site (e.g., they're in the Visitors group), but the Pages library or the welcome page have stopped inheriting permissions and have been changed so that the group or user no longer has access. If that's the case, then there isn't anything that can be done about it since the user technically has access to the site, just not the welcome page. Depending on the nature of the site in question, you could either fix the permissions (it's probably a mistake anyway) or add a rule to your "My SharePoint Sites" search scope that excludes the site from being displayed for everyone.

If you're sure the user should not have access to the site, another potential cause of the problem could be that the user's memberships are out of sync. Sometimes old memberships aren't deleted, so if a user previously had access to a site the user profile service might still think they do. If that's the case, then I wish you good luck in fixing it! I actually don't even use the memberships functionality on anymore because it's so unreliable.

Randy