My SharePoint Sites - Search

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Hi there,

First of all I would like to thank you for this solution, it is really a handy tool.

I have downloaded the package "My Links Menu - Search only" package and I have successfully installed it to SharePoint, and this part works fine. I can add links perfectly, but I cannot configure the list with SharePoint sites that user has access to.

Could you please describe, how should I configure the search scope in CA? I have tried to create a search scope, but I have obtained an unknown error...

Thanks in advance,

Igor

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I have managed to get some content under My SharePoint sites, but it is not complete to some extend. I have added a root site of our workspaces (workspaces.domainname.com), and now I can see all the sites that are created directly in the root on that web application. Our "Team Sites" and "Project Rooms" are located also on workspaces, and unfortunately I am not getting a list of them in "My SharePoint Sites". I can see the general link to team sites and project rooms, but I am missing a fly-out menu with the actual team sites / project rooms under the My SharePoint Sites. I have tried to create a separate rule to include sub-sites from workspaces.domainname.com/site/teamsites, but it seems that this rule is ignored.

Any ideas how to fix that issue?

Kind regards,

Igor

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Hi Igor,

I apologize for not responding to your previous question, I must have missed it somehow. The search functionality is designed to show sites under the managed paths of a web application, .e.g, /teams or /projects. The primary reason it won't work well with a root site collection is because it groups sites together based on their URL. This means that all sites will be considered children of the root site collection effectively eating up one level of the fly-out menu. 

If you absolutely must include the root site collection, let me know and I'll try to make some adjustments to how the sites are grouped.

Thanks,
Randy 

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Hi Randy,

I have managed to get this to work with managed paths.

Thank you for your help.

Igor