Core.JS error when mouse-over a group

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Hi there,

When I hover over a group to view the items within it, I get the following error...

Webpage error details

Line: 2

Char: 194510

Code: 0

URI: http://blablabla/_layouts/1033/core.js?rev=thUAOrLfyaU%2Fgyxy0eiMiw%3D%3D

Any ideas how to diagnose this please? Thank you, great solution!

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Hello,

I have a few questions that might help me troubleshoot it:

• Is this occurring when you're hovering over a group in the "My SharePoint Sites" menu, one in the main drop down menu, or both?
  • Does this happen on every page or is it isolated to certain pages? 
  • What browser are you using? Have you tried it in other browsers?

Thanks,
Randy

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Hi there,

I've removed the "My SharePoint sites" part, so it's just groups of links in a user's quicklinks where the problem occurs.

It seems to be globally.

Using IE 8, I just tried Chrome and the same problem.

Many thanks,

Ben

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Hi Ben,

Since core.js is compressed, it's difficult to pinpoint where the problem's coming from using the error message above. One way to track it down would be to make a copy of the compressed core.js file located here "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033", and then rename the uncompressed file (core.debug.js) to core.js so that it's possible to see the exact line where the error is occurring. Again, please make sure you make copies of the original files so that they can be easily restored when you're done.

Once you find the exact line where it's occurring, open up the uncompressed file, locate the line that's causing the problem, and then send me both the line of code and the name of the function it's located in.

Thanks,
Randy 

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Actually, a better way to utilize the debug.js files is to simply add the following line to the system.web section of the web.config file for the web application:

<deployment retail="false" />

Randy

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Hi Randy,

Thanks for this, so i've altered it and the line it says is this... (the bold one)

if (posTop==0)

posTop=oParent.offsetTop - oPopup.offsetParent.firstChild.scrollTop;

else

posTop=posTop - ParentTop+oParent.offsetTop - oPopup.offsetParent.firstChild.scrollTop;

if (browseris.ie8standard)

posTop=posTop - 1;

It's in this function...

function SetMenuPosition(oMaster, oParent, oPopup, oInnerDiv, fFlipTop, fTopLevel)

Does this shed any light? :)

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I can't see any obvious reason why that line would cause an error. Sometimes IE gives incorrect line numbers, can you double check in Chrome to make sure that is indeed the line throwing the error?

Thanks,
Randy 

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Hi Randy,

It turns out this was our css causing it. I know it may just be us, but for info, we had set #s4-ribbonrow .ms-MenuUIPopupBody, #s4-ribbonrow .ms-popoutMenu to be position fixed, which was causing this error, I. overrode it for this control and it worked.

Many thanks,

Ben

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the update. Do you happen to know if those CSS changes were related to this fix: http://kyleschaeffer.com/sharepoint/sharepoint-2010-scrolling/? If so, would you mind sharing the CSS you used to fix the problem? I plan on implementing that soon on all of my sites.

Thanks,
Randy

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Hi Randy,

I can try and find out why that was put in, but when removing it, the "welcome" drop down and another drop down control we have in the top banner didn't display properly.

As for the fix, I simply overrode it for the next id down, so -

#s4-ribbonrow .ms-MenuUIPopupBody .ms-MenuUIPopupScreen{

position: absolute !important;

...because the divs that fly out are assigned the .ms-MenuUIPopupScreen class too, problem solved. Hope this helps you, it certainly took me a little while to figure it out and fix. Great solution though this My Links, well done and thanks!

Ben